Friday, March 30, 2012

How to give my toddler a hair cut who won't let you cut it?

My toddler will be 3yrs. in Aug. And he still kicks and screams when we try to cut his hair. Sometimes the stylist won't cut it because he won't stay still. What are some ways to help him understand that nothing will happen and so he can peacfully get a hair cut?



How to give my toddler a hair cut who won't let you cut it?

My son is the same way. I actually have to sit in the barber chair and he sits on my lap and I hold him. He doesn't like being held, but he can't be thrashing around when a hairdresser has scissors.



To keep him from really acting up, you have to distract him from what's going on. Important for you to do this BEFORE he gets upset. Maybe he has a favorite food or toy he can be playing with while in the chair, something he doesn't normally get, like your keys, or some food treat of some kind.



It also helps to be talking to him about something he likes to do, the more distractions you have the better the experience will be.



Good luck!



How to give my toddler a hair cut who won't let you cut it?

TELL him going to get ice cream after his hair cut



How to give my toddler a hair cut who won't let you cut it?

My one year old is often afraid of the noise that certain machines make. Like a blender or the humming of the hair cutting machine. I sat him on my lap while the barber cut his hair and at first he cried, but later on he felt secured and we haven't had any problems getting his hair cut.



I think you should also check to see if the hair stylist presses too hard on his head with the machine. If this is the case, talking to the stylist in front of your toddler may be a good idea.



How to give my toddler a hair cut who won't let you cut it?

Do you have a kids cuts, cuts 4kids, or similar place in your area? We take our 2 year old to one. they have ride on toys, airplanes that vibrate, etc. that kids can sit on, nintendos to play with and several TVs with barney, doodlebops, etc. to watch. It really is worth the extra cost, around $25-30, depending on the place.



How to give my toddler a hair cut who won't let you cut it?

I was a nanny for 4 kids. The mom was a single mom, so she can't afford to take the kids somewhere to get their hair cut. So, she has a friend of the family do it. Her 3 year old has autism. He is horrible when it comes to getting his haircut! With her other 3, she could distract them with M %26amp; Ms (the only time they got them). With him, tho, she had to hold him down while the friend cut his hair. This shouldn't have to be done with all 3 year olds, tho. I agree that you need to distract him with a favorite food, snack, etc, possibly have him sit on your lap while his hair is being cut, and maybe take him to a place that is especially for kids to get their haircut. From what Ihave seen/heard, these places are very experienced with kids that don't like to have their haircut, so they know what to do and how to handle them.

No comments:

Post a Comment